Pre-Inspection Information and Check-Lists
We have prepared this information sheet to help you understand, prepare for, and get the most out of your professional home inspection.
Inspection Scope and Purpose
The purpose of a professional home inspection is to provide an objective, independent, professional opinion about the condition of the property. The following items/systems may be inspected in accordance with the International Association of Certified Home Inspectors Standards of Practice:
- Roof coverings
- Attic Area
- Roof Framing
- Central Cooling
- Fireplace & Chimneys
- Building Interior
- Built-in Appliances
- Other Systems
- Pools & Spas (optional)
When ordering your home inspection, and to ensure we can offer you the most accurate price and inspection duration estimate, please have the following information available:
- Property size (sq. ft)
- Property age
- Additional buildings (if any)
- Pools and spas (available as an additional optional inspection)
- If you do not attend the entire inspection, try to arrive towards the end so that the inspector can review the findings with you or we can review over the phone.
- Prepare a list of any general or specific questions you have about the property.
- If you need to reschedule prior to the inspection, please call us as soon as possible. We can usually accommodate your rescheduling needs.
Sellers Check-List (Buyers should ask sellers to make the following preparations)
- Please make sure the items/systems to be inspected are accessible. In particular please make sure the attic accesses (often in closets) and the crawl space accesses (usually in a closet or on an exterior wall) are fully accessible for the inspector to enter.
- Please make sure that all utilities (electric, gas, water, etc.) are turned on. Also please make sure that all electrical breakers are on and pilot lights are lit. For safety and liability reasons the inspector will not turn on any utilities, reset any electrical breakers, or light any pilot lights found to be off during the inspection.
- If you have tenants, please make them aware of the scheduled inspection, and ask them to follow the above check-list guidelines.